9/10/12

Yummy Onion Chutney

Week 2 of Blogging Marathon. My theme is cooking with onions as a main ingredient. The very first dish that came to my mind was Onion Chutney. This is a sooper dooper hit at home. My Athai makes very very crisp dosas along with this chutney and god knows how many I would have gobbled down. 



Im not sure if it is only me, you can actually feel the love and affection of a person when they serve food for you. I always feel it when Janaki Paati makes Idiyappam specially for me when I visit her, in the curd rice and sauteed onion chili mix that Muthulakshmi Paati keeps ready when I come back from school , when Athai makes me the crispy dosas or makes me eat an extra Idli, when my chithi makes it a point to include Beans curry in the menu when I eat knowing that I love the veggie so much.  This is all apart from my mother who knows what I like to eat and when I like to eat it also. I feel so blessed to be a part of this wonderful family. 
Okay now to today s recipe.Its my all time favorite Onion Chutney. 

Ingredients

Onions - 3 - 4 cut into small pieces
Red Chili - 15
Tamarind - 5 gm
Salt - to taste
Oil - as required
Mustard seeds and Urad Dal - for tempering

Method

Here is a step by step making of the chutney

Peel Onions and cut them into small pieces


Saute the onions on a shallow pan or you can microwave it for about 5 mins with a little oil


In a shallow pan add a little oil and saute the red chili. Take care of the heat, else it will burn the red chilies and the burnt smell will ruin the taste and the color of chutney



Put the sauteed red chili along with salt and tamarind in a blender and make it into a coarse powder



Add the sauteed onion to this coarse powder and blend again


You will get a smooth paste like this. Do not add water while blending the mixture


Now , heat some oil in a pan and add the tempering agents. When they are done, add the chutney and saute well till you get the aroma of onion chutney.


Serve with crispy Dosa or hot Idli. This chutney goes well with curd rice and chapati too




13 comments:

Priya dharshini said...

Good to ur fav menu from ur family..yummy chutney to have with dosa.

Reva said...

Lovely chutney... my most favourite..:))

Bookmarked..
Reva

Unknown said...

Yum..my fav too...

The Pumpkin Farm said...

i learnt this from MIL, loved it always

Jayanthi said...

The chutney looks so irresistible, love the color of the chutney.

Unknown said...

my favorite as an accompaniment

Sowmya

Ongoing Event - Coconut

Ongoing Event - Healthy Foods for Healthy Kids - Combo Meals

vaishali sabnani said...

Thats a all time fav one!

divyagcp said...

Tempting and delicious Chutney.. My favorite.

Divya's Culinary Journey

Sangeetha M said...

Super spicy n yummy chutney...Lovd it with crispy dosa 'n

Srivalli said...

Looks so delicious!

veena said...

Yumm.Yumm

preeti garg said...

Awesome... We made onion chutney with pulav...

Chef Mireille said...

what a spicy and delicious chutney!

Popular Posts