5/24/11

Vazhathandu Saaru - Summer Coolers - BM#5

I am not sure how many people will agree on this point.. With age your taste for food also differs. In my case .. I used to hate Vazhathandu , Vazhapoo, Pavakai during my childhood days. But today I relish these veggies. May be because I have understood the nutritional value and give more importance to healthy food rather than tasty food.
This vazhathandu saaru is a very very healthy drink for people who are obese and suffer from kidney problems. It is known to be an excellent cooler for the whole body. It is very apt to have it during summer as helps to keep the body cool in this high temperature environment. Making this is very simple.
Caution: People who have sinusitis try a small quantity or consult your physician before you start taking this as a part of your regular diet.


Ingredients:

1. Vazhathandu - 1 foot long stem

2. Salt - a pinch


Method:

1. Cut the thandu into small pieces

2. Put into a blender and make a smooth paste

3. Add a little water if required

4. Strain the blended thandu and extract the juice

5. Add a pinch of salt and serve chilled


Do check what my fellow runners are upto for the second day of the blogging marathon.
Curry in a hurry under 30 min: Aarthi, Divya, Jayashree, Jayasree, Kaveri, Pavani,
Seven Days of Indian Sweets:Gayathri, Priya
Seven Days of Microwave Meals: Monika,
Seven Days of Regional Specials: Cool Lassi(e), Harini, Vaishali, Suma
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid's Special: Kalyani
Summer Coolers: Kamalika, Srivalli

13 comments:

Gayathri Kumar said...

Very nutritious drink..

Divya said...

im a fan of banana stem....my mom used to prepare this saaru...good and healthy too...love it..

Harini said...

Good one..I have never cooked with banana stem and I don't have access to it either.

Pari Vasisht said...

Thanks for sharing this, it's completely new for me.

FOODELICIOUS

Pavani said...

Very interesting cooler. Never heard of it--looks nutritious and yumm.

Jayashree said...

You seem to have drawn a distinction between healthy food and tasty food. Why can't healthy food be tasty???

Unknown said...

Very very new cooler, sounds great for summer.

jayasree said...

I agree with you on changing tastes. I have had this juice continuously for over a month when I had kidney stones.

Priya Suresh said...

Wow wat a healthy and fabulous drink...omg, i dont fresh banana stem here..

Lifewithspices said...

wow perfect drink for summer

Srivalli said...

Well I kind of agree with the age factor coming in when you start liking certain dislikes, but I can't agree on bitter gourd..:))..nice drink..

vaishali sabnani said...

now I need to take a trip to south...so many new ingredients..heard of banana stem,but dont get it here.

Kalyani said...

hey ! nice one.. We have vazhaithandu poriyal regularly.

Kalyani
http://itsnotmadrasi.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-event-announcement-wwc-ragi-for.html

Popular Posts