My nephew loved it so did his cousin who came with him. He has gone back to Australia, but from what I hear from my SIL is that he still keeps talking about Gulab Jamun and Ice cream.
This is what I used to make Gulab Jamun
- Khova – 11/2 cups
- Maida – 1 cup
- Sugar – 3 cups (if you want excess syrup i.e floating jamuns increase by a cup)
- Water – 1 cup (increase if you’re increasing sugar)
- Cooking Soda – 3 pinches
- Cardamom – 4 pods
- Saffron leaves – a few
- Oil – 1 cup (for deep frying)
How I made it
- Combine sugar and water in a flat bottomed broad pan and simmer on a low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Add cardamom powder and saffron leaves and remove from fire.
- Knead khova, maida and soda and quickly shape into elongated balls.
- Heat oil on a medium flame.
- Fry the jamuns till golden brown over a low to medium flame, keeping oil temperature uniform. Oil should not smoke.
- Drain the jamuns and soak in the warm sugar syrup.
PS : I adopted the recipe we used for ICC in November 2010Serve the jamuns with Ice cream, not only children adults will also love it.