What you need to know about diabetes and diet
Diabetes is on the rise, yet most cases of diabetes are preventable with healthy lifestyle changes. Some can even be reversed. The bottom line is that you have more control over your health than you think. If you’re concerned about diabetes, you can make a difference by eating a healthy diet, keeping your weight in check, and getting exercise.
Eating right for diabetes comes down to three things:1. What you eat. Your diet makes a huge difference!! You should eat mostly plant foods, cut back on refined carbs and sugary drinks, and choose healthy fats over unhealthy fats.
2. When you eat.Diet is part of it, but keeping regular meal and snack times also affects your blood sugar levels and will help to keep them more constant.
3. How much you eat.Portion sizes matter. Even if you eat very healthy meals, if you eat too much you will gain weight, which is a factor in diabetes.
You do not need to eat special foods, but instead simply emphasize vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. A diabetes diet is simply a healthy eating plan that is high in nutrients, low in fat, and moderate in calories. It is a healthy diet for anyone! More on the posts this week on Diabetic food management. Keep watching. My recipe for today is a simple green poriyal/stir fry.
- Greens - 3 cups , cleaned and cut into small pieces
- Red chillies - 3
- Onion - 1 cut into small pieces
- Coconut scraping - 2 tsps(optional)
- Salt to taste
- Tempering - Oil & Mustard Seeds
- Clean and cut the greens into small pieces
- Wash the greens as many times as possible to eradicate minute particles of mud
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and add mustard seeds
- To this add the red chillies and onions
- Saute for 3 minutes
- To this add the washed greens and keep stirring
- The water in greens is enough for it to cook
- If you feel a little more water is required please add
- Ensure that you keep stirring to avoid greens getting burned
- Add salt and keep stirring
- After some 15 minutes , you will see that the water has evaporated and greens are done
- At this stage switch of the fire and add coconut scrapings. This is purely optional.
- Serve with hot sambhar rice or curd rice
- Having greens everyday is helpful to keep cholesterol at bay and at the same time the required vitamins required on a daily basis is fulfilled
Check out my Blogging Marathoners doing Group 3 BM#4 along with me