I just love them. I saw Divya's post on how to store (freeze) fresh green peas and felt happy that there are many people who love green peas like me. Be it a normal alu curry or even a cabbage curry, a handful of fresh peas definitely adds to the flavor and appeals to the eyes of the person who is gonna eat it. Add it to the salad you make your protein potion for the day is fulfilled. Plain boiled basmati rice along with a small amount of spice will not be appealing , just throw in some green peas, the color combination of fresh green against creamish white color of basmati rice will be loved by your cameras. My camera loves these yummy delectable combinations.
I somehow feel that the color combination of food that you serve is as important as the taste of the food. This reminds me , I have my cousin sister in law visiting us on Sunday along with her kids. I have the menu planned for them. Will post them along with the recipes after the marathon is done with.
Moving on to the day's recipe.. Its Peas Paneer Pulao. I prefer to call it like that rather than Paneer Peas pulao for reasons you know why.
Here are the ingredients that make this dish a yummy one.
- Basmati Rice - 2 cups
- Fresh green peas - 1 cup
- Paneer pieces - 8 - 10
- Green chillies - 2 ( slit length wise )
- Onion - 1 cut into thin slices
- Capsicum - 1 cut into think strips ( optional )
- Cloves, bayleaf, cinnamon stick, star anise ( as suited to individual taste) I prefer to have a mild flavor of spices
- Salt to taste
- Cashew nuts and Raisins for garnishing ( optional )
So how do we make this recipe, follow the steps below and you will be left with your kitchen smelling good with its aroma
- Wash the basmati rice and let it soak for 10 mins
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom wok and add the spices listed
- Cook for a minutes time then add the sliced onions and capsicum
- Add the green peas and the rice along with the required water. Ratio for Basmati Rice is 1:1.5 ( add a little more for the veggies that you add)
- Bring the whole mixture to a boil and close it with a lid.
- Now transfer this to a electric cooker and switch it on
- In 15- 20 mins the peas paneer Pulao will be ready
- Serve it hot with some gravy and /or raitha
You can use the same method to make mixed veggie rice also. The picture here shows the finished dish in the electric cooker container. I was not able to take pictures after that.
Okay, time to go on a trail to my fellow runners kitchen, wanna come along..
Azeema, Bhagi, Champa, Gayathri Anand, Gayathri Kumar, Harini, Jay, Meena, Mina, Padma, Pavani, PJ, Priya Mahadevan, Priya Suresh, Priya Vasu, Rujuta, Santosh, Saraswathi, Savitha, Shanavi, Smitha, Sowmya, Suma, Usha, Veena